DISCUSSIONS & DOCUMENTS

14 Replies Last post: Oct 19, 2012 4:37 AM by Peter Cermak  
Candidate 3 posts since
Sep 28, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 29, 2012 12:03 AM

VMworld Barcelona 2012 - Ground Transportation

Hi folks,

does anyone know if there is a ground transportation at Barcelona?

From the airport to the VMworld?

Are there shuttles from the hotels while the exhibition takes place? Or are there tickets for public transporation?

At "San Francisco"-Site under "Hotels & Travel" there is a hint for Ground Transporation... but at "Barcelona" there is no remark.

Thank you.

Tony Dunn Master 271 posts since
Sep 10, 2007
2. Sep 21, 2012 11:42 AM in response to: Johannes
Re: VMworld Barcelona 2012 - Ground Transportation

Here is some info from the event team.  They should be posting more details under the Hotels & Travel page soon.  Hope this helps!

Airport Shuttles

Shuttles will be offered between Barcelona Airport, Terminals 1 and 2 to CCGV North Entrance (Hall 8.0).

Sunday | 16.00 – 20.00

Monday | 10.00 – 20.00

Return service will be provided from CCGV North Entrance (Hall 8.0) to the airport.

Thursday | 12.00 – 18.00

Pre-booking is not required.

Metro Shuttle

A shuttle will operate from the Europa Fira metro station to CCVG North Entrance during VMworld.

andrea.mauro@assyrus.it Candidate 7 posts since
Nov 29, 2008
3. Sep 21, 2012 9:22 PM in response to: Tony Dunn

Thanks Tony.

And what about a metro/bus pass (like was at Copenhagen). There will be something similar?

Tony Dunn Master 271 posts since
Sep 10, 2007
4. Sep 21, 2012 10:33 PM in response to: andrea.mauro@assyrus.it

Hi Andrea,

I'm not aware of a metro pass this year (majority of attendees did not utilize it last year, so may not have been justified). The event team will be posting transportation details soon, so please check for that at http://www.vmworld.com/community/conference/europe/plan/hotel-travel.

See you in Barcelona!

Nov 29, 2008
5. Sep 21, 2012 10:55 PM in response to: Tony Dunn
Thanks!
Andrew McMorris Candidate 3 posts since
Nov 23, 2007
6. Sep 22, 2012 11:48 AM in response to: andrea.mauro@assyrus.it

Got to disagree on the point that most attendees don't use the travel pass, last year's the venue was 5km roughly from the centre of the city, how else do you think people got too and from the venue? I certainly used it everyday and noticed lots of the backpacks.

This year the venue looks like its the same, about 3-4km from the city centre, its a disappointment that we will not get the same pass but understand most likely comes down to cost cutting, first purchase after registration will be my public transport pass it seems.

A.

Nov 29, 2008
7. Sep 29, 2012 10:45 PM in response to: Tony Dunn

So it's confirmed that there will any option for the bus/metro pass?

I've used a lot during last VMworld at Copenhagen and, considering also the location, it could be really useful also this year.

Candidate 2 posts since
Sep 30, 2011
8. Oct 1, 2012 2:37 AM in response to: andrea.mauro@assyrus.it

Just to add my comments on this. Last year at Copenhagen everyone that I met or talked to was using the Metro. The conference facility was too far out for most people, and the fact that the conference hall was right on the Metro suited everyone.

I don't know if this is the right place to discuss this, but personally feel that the pre-organisation last year was a lot more on the ball and this year has been decidedly more lax.

J

Andrew McMorris Candidate 3 posts since
Nov 23, 2007
9. Oct 1, 2012 2:44 AM in response to: johnmaguire

Noticed that VMware UK Account tweeted there own blog post below:

http://www.vmwareemeablog.com/events-uk/vmworld-europe-2012-getting-around-in-barcelona

As looks like not passes will be handed out it links to some helpful links to getting around.

A.

Candidate 17 posts since
Jun 17, 2009
10. Oct 3, 2012 6:35 AM in response to: Andrew McMorris

Just got an email from VMWorld regarding this:

Metro Passes - Sponsored by Quantum
During the conference, you are encouraged to use the metro to get to and from Fira Barcelona Gran Via.
Visit the Info Counter in Hall 8, Lower Lobby or the Quantum booth in Solutions Exchange, Stand S402 to
pick one up.

Metro Shuttles
Fira Europa metro station
Fira Barcelona Gran Via, North Entrance
Sunday, 7 October | 14:00 - 20:00
Monday, 8 October | 07:00 - 21:00
Tuesday, 9 October | 07:00 - 20:30

And.. Just because it is funny....

Safety in Barcelona
Please be vigilant, especially in busy areas, and ensure you protect your personal belongings. Keep your
luggage with you, at all times, even when checking into your hotel. Remove your VMworld badge when you
are out and about in Barcelona, so you don't draw unwanted attention to yourself as a non-local or tourist.

Take off your badge so you don't look like a tourist... So... Will the VMworld Barcelona backpacks not have a big VMworld label going down the center of them?

Nov 29, 2008
11. Oct 3, 2012 9:06 PM in response to: snorkel

Good for the pass.

About the safety, is not so bad... But just keep your passport and money close to you

I've write a couple of notes some days ago on:

http://vinfrastructure.it/2012/09/vmworld-eu-2012-alcune-informazioni/#comment-3318

Candidate 1 posts since
Sep 7, 2012
12. Oct 9, 2012 12:04 AM in response to: snorkel
Re: VMworld Barcelona 2012 - Public transport from the airport??

Hello,

Does anyone have any advice on the best public transport route from the airport and is there a ticket that covers both the train and the metro? I'm arriving tomorrow (Wednesday) so all of the shuttle services etc will have stopped but I want to minimise time I spend finding out this kind of information at the airport.

Presumably if VMWorld are giving out travel cards I will only need a single fare to the venue?

Nov 29, 2008
13. Oct 9, 2012 8:14 AM in response to: jamie Lee

IMHO, the airport is quite close, so you can plan to take a taxi.

Otherwise you can take the train to Gornal (2 stop) and than switch to the S-train to Barcelona and exit on the Europa Fira (1 stop).

Then the entrance is quite far (15 min by walk), but you can wait for the VMworld shuttle.

Peter Cermak Candidate 3 posts since
Jun 1, 2011
14. Oct 19, 2012 4:37 AM in response to: andrea.mauro@assyrus.it

Quote: "Then the entrance is quite far (15 min by walk), but you can wait for the VMworld shuttle."

This was one of the most embarassing (for VMWare) topics:

WHY can't they plan a conference this size a little more efficiently? Using other halls would have been much easier for everybody.

As is said in  another thread (ok, it's not prublic Transport, but mor internal transport):

It was very inefficient to move the session a 7 minutes walk away from  the Solutions Exchange! Between the session i could just spend 10 to 15  minutes in the Solutions Exchange, hurrying back and forth. Copenhagen  was a much better setup with most sessions directly next to the main  event.

Very interesting is also that a town has 2 event centers called "Fira Barcelona" - Google maps directs you to the wrong one, when searching for "Fira Barcelona gran via". We where not the only ones running around there and seeing to a single trace of VMWorld. Then we drove with a taxi to the other Fira Barcelona. VMWare should have mentioned, that you find it as "Fira de Barcelona 2".

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...