DISCUSSIONS & DOCUMENTS

11 Replies Last post: Jul 29, 2010 2:47 PM by Jay Rogers  
mrehere Candidate 40 posts since
Jun 3, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 28, 2010 4:34 AM

Breakout Sessions - More Freedom. Less Formality.

Breakout Sessions - More Freedom. Less Formality.
This year, we’ve eliminated the need to pre-register for sessions - giving you more freedom and greater control over your conference experience. Forget trying to plan your daily agenda around events you picked weeks ago -use Schedule Builder to view a complete listing of available sessions and then just show up to sessions that work best for you when you’re at the conference. Plus, we’ll be repeating most sessions at least once, so you have ample opportunity to attend your top choices.

I have mixed feelings about this change. If the time between sessions is limited, this could limit the sessions attended, forcing one to stand in queues for a seat.

Anyone have any thoughts on this change?

Joel Williams Candidate 9 posts since
Sep 3, 2008
1. Apr 28, 2010 7:20 AM in response to: mrehere
Re: Breakout Sessions - More Freedom. Less Formality.
I understand the change.  Scheduling has been a nightmare for many attendees.  The stress of not being able to register for a particular session of interest is real.  However, I think this change may simply transfer the stress from the weeks befroe the event to the actual event itself.  Unless people sign up ahead of time for sessions, how will the folks at VMworld be able to assess demand and potentially offer additional sessions with the same topic?  I fear that I will plan to attend a session only to find out that there's no space left.  I realize that VMworld may try to accomodate the attendees by adding addtional sessions, but by the time we miss our planned session, we have just wasted a time slot.  This change will also likely create a situation where people show up late to sessions after they are displaced from their original, intended session.
Candidate 8 posts since
Jan 12, 2010
2. Apr 29, 2010 4:48 AM in response to: Joel Williams

I agree. Scheduling is the only way to benchmark interest and planning.

Silly way to go

lstevens Candidate 36 posts since
Sep 10, 2007
3. Apr 29, 2010 11:00 AM in response to: mrehere

Even though pre-registration for sessions has been eliminated the schedule builder tool will still be available and we will encourage attendees to build their schedules as they have in the past. This way we will be able to gauge interest and make sure sessions are placed in the proper sized rooms. Every session will be repeated at least once and the more popular sessions will run multiple times throughout the conference.

Also, there will be 30 minutes between sessions.

Candidate 8 posts since
Jan 12, 2010
4. Apr 29, 2010 11:15 AM in response to: lstevens

Will the schedule builder  tool be available as soon as the Session/lab info becomes available (mid June I believe the site says) or will we have to wait for that to come out.

I ask because everything seems to be delayed release this year.   Registration didn't open up until 2 days ago, the Course Catalog isn't going to be available until mid June etc.

Sep 10, 2007
5. Apr 29, 2010 1:48 PM in response to: Craig Cerino

Registration opened a couple weeks later than last year, but for the first time we launched VMworld US and EMEA registration at the same time.

Content Catalog and Schedule Builder go live dates are mapped to what was done last year. Content Catalog opened in mid June last year and will open at that time again this year.

Schedule Builder will open on August 2nd giving you four week to build a schedule.

Candidate 8 posts since
Jan 12, 2010
6. May 4, 2010 10:18 AM in response to: lstevens
I'm having a hard time trying to follow the logic as to why things were donethe way they were this year.

We all know that geeks like to get things planned as soon as possible.

Content catolog not published until June 15 and then the Schedule builder won't even be availabel until Aug 3 ( a few weeks before the event)

Hopefully these things will all shake out this year and go back to the way they should be. .. register for sessions, be garunteed a slot - be able to shcedule everything etc.

Gavin Haslett Candidate 9 posts since
Jun 6, 2008
7. May 4, 2010 10:56 AM in response to: Craig Cerino

It's a test! Seriously... my thinking is that they'll try it this way and see how it works. If it doesn't, expect pre-registration next year just like last.

I'm pretty much on the fence about this change; I like it and dislike it at the same time. Hopefully it also will mean that I won't pre-register for a session that I really want, only to have it canceled and fill up before I have a chance to book the alternate session! Yes, that happened to no less than two of my sessions last year.

Sep 10, 2007
8. May 4, 2010 11:35 AM in response to: Craig Cerino

Hi Craig,

I hear what you're saying, but please understand that creating content for VMworld is an extensive process. We're actually kicking off Public Voting   where we're inviting the VMworld community to vote on the Call for Papers submissions. It's open to anyone with a vmworld.com account.

Thanks,

Lauren

Candidate 8 posts since
Jan 12, 2010
9. May 4, 2010 11:40 AM in response to: lstevens

Whatever I can do - wherever I can help/vote - just point me in the proper direction, Lauren.

Don't misunderstand me - I appreciate the magnitude of an event of this size and the logistics involved with putting it together. That being said however - I still believe the masses attending are better served by being given content as early as possible and also being guaranteed a spot/slot in a class/session/lab.

/2 cents.

James Richter Candidate 4 posts since
Sep 10, 2007
10. May 4, 2010 12:06 PM in response to: mrehere

I think it's funny that things like this seem to draw out the detractors more than anything.  I know I attended Microsoft TechED for years before going to VMworld and it seemed insane that you had to register for a session like it's college/high school.  I've been rooting for having this change for a while.  None of the TechEd sessions were that big of a problem.  If a room filled, the scheduled a second presentation of it.

It will have the bonus affect (I assume) of cutting down on the cattle lines in order to get into a room.  They will need to keep count of people, but won't have to scan badges to see if you are allowed in.

If handled correctly, I think this method will work much better than the pre-registration.

Jay Rogers Apprentice 19 posts since
Sep 10, 2007
11. Jul 29, 2010 2:47 PM in response to: mrehere

I too like the scheduling we had in the past. With the $$$ my company is spending to send me to the event I want to get out of it what I have spent the time in planning and reserving my sessions and LABS ahead of time. Not spend my conference time wandering around to see what Lab / session has room.

Bad move VMware. A change for the noisy ones that don't do any planning and just show up and complain.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

JOIN OUR COMMUNITIES

CONTACT US

Copyright © 2017 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved.