DISCUSSIONS & DOCUMENTS

36 Replies Last post: Apr 11, 2011 7:50 AM by James Williams   1 2 3 Previous Next
Jonathan May Candidate 3 posts since
Mar 3, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 3, 2010 6:45 AM

Hotel Recommendation for VMworld 2010?

I will be attending VMworld for the first time this year and was curious if seasoned attendees had any recommendations for Hotels that are located near to the Moscone Convention Center? I thought it might be advantageous to book the Hotel in advance of Early Bird registration unless VMware has some sort of good package deal for the Conf and Hotel?

Cheers the Brit

Jono

Candidate 1 posts since
Sep 10, 2007
1. Mar 9, 2010 6:07 AM in response to: Jonathan May
Re: Hotel Recommendation for VMworld 2010?

There are many good hotels in the area of the Moscone center. I believe the last time I went I stayed at the hilton which is a few blocks away but it was actually a nice walk through the area. Wait until it gets closer they usually have rate packages for the VMworld attendees and it will save you a few bucks or get you a nicer room at a better rate. Enjoy

John

ewalker Candidate 1 posts since
Sep 10, 2007
2. Mar 15, 2010 12:25 PM in response to: Jonathan May
I stayed at the W which was across the street from the entrance to Moscone. Couldn't beat it for convenience.
tspero2 Candidate 5 posts since
May 1, 2009
3. Mar 15, 2010 2:35 PM in response to: Jonathan May
In 2009 I stayed at the Intercontinental which was about 2 blocks from the Bart station and two blocks from the Moscone Center.  In addition, it was one block from a large shopping mall as well.  The rooms were nice and very clean, although a bit small.  I saw several other VMWorld folks there as well.  I'll probably be staying there again this year.
Attachments:
Enrico Candidate 27 posts since
Sep 10, 2007
4. Mar 22, 2010 5:10 AM in response to: Jonathan May

Hi,

San Francisco Marriott Marquis is very close to the Moscone Center.

Maybe that could be something?

Cheers

/Rico

derekn Candidate 36 posts since
Sep 10, 2007
5. Apr 21, 2010 9:10 AM in response to: Enrico

I stayed at the Palace hotel in 2007.  It was about 5 blocks away, it wasn't bad but sometimes during the day it stunk to walk all that way to dump off materials and the such.  The hotel was nice and I had no problems there.

In 2009 I stayed at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, its right next to the moscone center, you will have to cross through the Beuna Vista Gardens, no complaints there.  Last year they had the labs right in the lower level of this hotel so that made it very convenient.  I liked this hotel and I was in it 6 days, I brought the wife last year and she liked how it was close to the Beuna Vista gardens and close to shopping.

This year I am traveling alone so I have yet to decide where to stay again as I like to be close to the restaurants.

weatherman Candidate 2 posts since
Sep 10, 2007
6. Apr 21, 2010 2:57 PM in response to: Jonathan May
2 thumbs up for the Marrott Marquis.  The rooms are nice, the staff was great and you can't beat the location.
Ron Davis Candidate 6 posts since
Jun 5, 2008
7. Apr 21, 2010 5:33 PM in response to: Jonathan May

I'm staying at the King George. I haven't stayed there before, but it gets good reviews, is close by, and cheap.

Gavin Haslett Candidate 9 posts since
Jun 6, 2008
8. Apr 22, 2010 12:49 PM in response to: Ron Davis

I stayed at the King George last year... it was pretty good. The room was bizarre in that the ceiling was REALLY low... wouldn't take you being much over 6 feet tall (I'm 5'10") for you to be uncomfortable. However, it was decent, the service was good and I am not the type of person to spend a whole hell of a lot of time in an hotel, anyway.

The King George has the advantage that it's close to a lot of cool stuff and great places to eat. Close walk to Chinatown, and a middling length but nice walk to the Moscone Center.

Also, the Sugar Cafe is a great place to get breakfast... just a short walk away

Keith Caines Candidate 16 posts since
May 4, 2008
9. Apr 27, 2010 10:55 AM in response to: Jonathan May

Ok, any more Hotel suggestions? I will be registering soon...    I wish Vmware would lump the Conference registration in with the Hotel reservation. Does anyone know if they will do this - or at least provide a list of recommended hotels....  

derekn Candidate 36 posts since
Sep 10, 2007
10. Apr 27, 2010 11:30 AM in response to: Keith Caines

In years past VMWare has never lumped the price of the conference and hotel together.  I doubt they will go that route this year.

The recommendation of hotels usually comes out later in the year, prolly in June going from years past.   This includes a discounted rate for the conference.  Its a small discount compared to most hotels normal rates, just from my comparison in the past.

Candidate 1 posts since
Apr 14, 2009
11. Apr 27, 2010 1:24 PM in response to: Jonathan May

Anyone got any reccomendations for some of the cheaper ones?

triton, serrano, or sir fransis drake?

Shawn Logan Candidate 10 posts since
Apr 1, 2008
12. Apr 27, 2010 1:48 PM in response to: Chris Kunkel
I took a chance this year booked with hotwire even though I had no idea which Hotel I would get.  Selected the Moscone area, and ended up with Parc 55 for $109 a night, 3 block walk does not look too bad.  There is a website that helps you determine which hotels you may get, search for better bidding on google.  Last year I stayed at Westin on market street which was great just being down the block.
Candidate 9 posts since
Sep 3, 2008
13. Apr 27, 2010 2:13 PM in response to: Shawn Logan
Last year, many of the labs were held inside the Marriott Marquis.  Some of the labs started as early as 7:00 AM and I found it convenient to have a really short walk for those. Also, the Marriott Marquis is just a block away from the BART station.  When you have luggage to carry, it's nice to be so close.
Enrico Candidate 27 posts since
Sep 10, 2007
14. Apr 27, 2010 11:20 PM in response to: Chris Kunkel

Hi Chris,

In 2007 I stayed at Serrano Hotel.

The hotel was okay and the walking distance was'nt too far (helps when there is a Starbucks on the way)

One thing that bothers me the most was that they did have a restaurant/place, which means you had

to find a place for breakfast in the morning.

I know some people eat breakfast at the conference, but being european, I'm not really into having cakes and hardboiled egs in the

morning. :-)

Last year, I stayed at the Hiltons in the financial district, which was very nice and close to China town.

Also a fair walk to the conference.

Cheers!

/Rico

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

JOIN OUR COMMUNITIES

CONTACT US

Copyright © 2017 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved.