This Question is Answered

1 "helpful" answer available (4 pts)
5 Replies Last post: Sep 17, 2012 1:41 PM by petlab31  
petlab31 Apprentice 2 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 10, 2012 1:43 PM

VMWorld 2012 Spam

I attended VMWorld 2011 in Las Vegas last year and have been receiving emails from Vendors that I know I didn't visit last year saying "Thank you for attending our booth at VMWolrd 2012. Anybody else experiencing this BS?
James Gunnarson Apprentice 5 posts since
Mar 17, 2010
1. Sep 10, 2012 2:17 PM in response to: petlab31
Re: VMWorld 2012 Spam
I to have been getting bombarded with calls and emails from my visit two weeks ago.   I think there probably was some sort of disclaimer somewhere that I missed.
snorkel Accomplice 17 posts since
Jun 17, 2009
2. Sep 12, 2012 10:14 AM in response to: James Gunnarson

Pro-Tip:  Register for VMWorld using a throw away email address.

Steven Santini Accomplice 25 posts since
Jun 14, 2011
3. Sep 17, 2012 5:57 AM in response to: petlab31

And the winner is!.....Snorkel

The data of all attendee's is available to all exhibitors to purchase at a hefty sum. But you also need to bear in mind where your badge is getting scanned.

In San Francisco, many of the exhibitors hired in Staff (obviously based on looks) to just walk about their booth scanning passers by, the same goes for coffee/juice/beer bars, they always scan your badge first and boom, sponsor has some data.

I agree with you, I dont see the value in emailing folks (especially a, thanks for visiting our booth) when you've had no communication from them.

Steve

StorMagic

snorkel Accomplice 17 posts since
Jun 17, 2009
4. Sep 17, 2012 12:35 PM in response to: Steven Santini

Due to the layout of VMworld this year I only made it to the Solutions Exchange once and that was during the welcome reception where it is too crazy to actually talk to anyone.  I literally spent the entire conference at Moscone West.. I just never had a reason to be in the other buildings.  In years past I would go to the Exchange numerous times, dropping by inbetween sessions and staying when I came across something interesting.  This year, I was just never close enough to make it worth it...

The end result, though, is that every VMworld email and phone call I get is obvoiusly cold call fishing..  "Hi there.. We met at our booth at VMworld this year..."

Um.. Nope.. We didn't.. You probably just scanned me as I was trying to get to the beer table.  But yeah, anyways, not interested in buying a SAN based on a cold call.  Thanks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Join Our Communities

Contact Us

Drop us a line at
vmworldteam@vmware.com

USA & Canada: 1-800-365-2459

International: +1 203-851-7802

Copyright © 2014 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved.