VMworld

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (5 pts) 2 forum.thrd.helpful_answer.plural.text available (4 pts)
3 Replies Last post: Jul 30, 2012 6:01 AM by David Yancy  
colopartner Apprentice 1 posts since
Jul 26, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 26, 2012 11:19 AM

VMware Rookie

VMworld 2012 will be my first.  As a beginner to VMware, I'm interested in understanding any thoughts/suggestions on how to set up a track of sessions for beginners.  I saw one session for virtualization 101, but that was about it.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Scott Bailey Apprentice 11 posts since
Aug 12, 2010
1. Jul 27, 2012 6:33 AM in response to: colopartner
Re: VMware Rookie
My advice would be to spend lots of times in labs. If you truly are a beginner to VMware a lot of content dives pretty deep into the weeds so rather than get frustrated with stuff that doesn't make sense, spend as much time as you can in the labs. No where else will you get hands on like you will here.
Joshua Post Apprentice 13 posts since
May 3, 2011
2. Jul 27, 2012 8:23 AM in response to: colopartner
I have to agree. There are some great sessions that you should look into, but the labs are very helpful to put it in practice and see it in real life.  I'm going to spend half my time doing labs.
David Yancy Apprentice 13 posts since
Jul 22, 2010
3. Jul 30, 2012 6:01 AM in response to: colopartner

I agree with the sentiment about the labs, however I would also strongly suggest that you build your session schedule around two concepts:

1.  Take sessions that are relevant to the duties you perform on the job now.

2.  Take sessions that are relevant to the duties you WANT to be performing in the future.

For example, if you are currently seen as the subject matter expert for all-things Storage, you are going to find sessions about new storage-centric features for vSphere 5.x and can arm yourself with quite a bit of knowledge there.  And if you know that your employer or your customers are very interested in how they can leverage public cloud computing, then can use this conference to arm yourself with an understanding of how vSphere 5 fits into the equation and how VMware is positioning itself as a key player moving ahead.

I'd start with the Schedule Builder and do some key word searches to find things that are of interest to you. Once you have a few sessions identified via searching, switch over to the calendar view and fill in the empty spots with sessions that will challenge you, or push you into new areas.

One mistake new attendees usually make is they try to cram too many sessions back-to-back on their schedules.  This doesn't leave them much time to get between sessions and the Moscone Center is pretty spread out.  You're going to want at least 30-60 mins between sessions periodically just to grab a snack, take a restroom break, and make it from point A to B.

And yes... leave plenty of time for labs. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...