DISCUSSIONS & DOCUMENTS

10 Replies Last post: Jan 18, 2012 4:48 PM by Shawn Logan  
Richard Caldwell Apprentice 13 posts since
Jul 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 2, 2012 2:17 PM

VMworld 2012 - back to San Francisco

Well guys, enjoy Las Vegas while you're here.  Next year it's back poor service and lunch meat on a hard roll.

Rick Jackson says that Las Vegas can't handle such a massive event.  Seriously?   I know he's a marketing guy but between that one and explaining how great vRAM entitlements are for the customer I'm starting to get a little skeptical.

Jason Langdon Mentor 76 posts since
Sep 24, 2007
1. Aug 31, 2011 5:37 AM in response to: Richard Caldwell
Re: VMworld 2012 - back to San Francisco
In that case I have a very simple solution.  Why not just limit the number of attendees?  Seriously, this even has grown to 10,000+ people.  Why not open registration in March and limit it to 8,000 people?
drowland Apprentice 10 posts since
Jul 23, 2010
2. Aug 31, 2011 5:50 PM in response to: Richard Caldwell

I don't get his answer either.  Last year seemed horrible just trying to walk the halls.  The lunch room must have been 1/20th the size of what we've got in Vegas.  Every session seemed so much smaller.  The event staff in SanFran was so unorganized compared to the staff in Vegas.

VMworld outgrew SanFran a long time ago.  It's just cheaper for VMware becuase all of their HDQ employees are down the road.  They have to bring them out to Vegas and pay for hotels.

I think I'll be skipping next year.  Hopefully they'll come back to Vegas (or somewhere else) the following year.

This is just my opinion.  Not the opinion of my company.

Eduard Tieseler Accomplice 19 posts since
Sep 10, 2007
3. Sep 1, 2011 11:56 AM in response to: Richard Caldwell
I actually prefer San Francisco over Vegas. It's easier to convince to company to send me, I like the venue better, it was easier to get to the seminars, excluding the non registering fiasco of last year, the lunch room was MASSIVE. About the largest open space room, no support columns, that I've been in, excluding air craft hangars.   The venue staff is much better here in Vegas though, they did a better job handling this crowd. The venue is visually nicer. But it's a pain to make it to the different seminars, having to travel up and down all the floors. Walking to the breakfast and lunch is a journey.   They both have their plusses and minuses, it seems like most people prefer Vegas, but my vote favors frisco.  Plus it's close to home for me! :)
Chris Nelson Apprentice 3 posts since
Mar 3, 2011
4. Sep 1, 2011 4:40 PM in response to: Jason Langdon

This was my first VMWorld (long time VMware customer). It was a bit too large (as in, amount of people). I can only imagine the size it will be in 5 years or so with the amount of people jumping on the virtual bandwagon.

The amount of people was the downside to this trip for me. Navigating the halls, the extremely large classes, etc. was a bit overwhelming. It almost made it "too large" to network as well.

For a better value for the attendee(s) as well as comfort, I could see regional or "satelite" versions (we have the technology - streaming, etc.) all held at the same time in strategic points across the nation.

Vendors could split up their booths into smaller booths at these various locations, and still have the exposure they need.

As far as Vegas, it is plenty the size to handle large crowds. The navigation sucked though and the mile long hikes was a pain.

Other than that, no other complaints. Had a good time and learned quite a bit. Solutions Exchange was my highlight.

pslager Apprentice 10 posts since
Sep 20, 2007
5. Nov 16, 2011 7:52 AM in response to: Richard Caldwell
This is my 6th VMworld and Vegas is by far the best venue, has the most things to do, best parties, didnt feel crowded. I am not a fan of San Fran as a city or as a venue for VMworld.   
Steve Wiley Apprentice 2 posts since
Apr 6, 2011
6. Jan 13, 2012 3:31 PM in response to: Richard Caldwell

I attended my first VMWorld in 2011 @ Vegas. What an amazing experience! I would love to repeat in 2012 but there is no way I am going to San Francisco, even if it is only 1 hour away.  So maybe I'll see you at VMWorld 2013, VMware.  I have read the reviews, and experienced enough conferences in SF first hand. You can count me out every single time you book this for San Francisco.

So this year I'll use my conference budget and head to NYC for the Virtualization Conf & Expo - and check in on what Microsoft is up to with Hyper-V.

Eduard Tieseler Accomplice 19 posts since
Sep 10, 2007
7. Jan 17, 2012 8:35 AM in response to: Richard Caldwell
OK, why is this thread being SPAMed suddenly?
ANorton Accomplice 19 posts since
Sep 1, 2009
8. Jan 17, 2012 10:58 AM in response to: Richard Caldwell
Has it been confirmed for San Fran yet or is it still a rumor?
pslager Apprentice 10 posts since
Sep 20, 2007
9. Jan 17, 2012 11:24 AM in response to: ANorton
It was confirmed before VMworld 2011.
Shawn Logan Apprentice 10 posts since
Apr 1, 2008
10. Jan 18, 2012 4:48 PM in response to: Richard Caldwell

Yes, pretty sure it was confirmed at the keynote.  I am very surprised that they figure las Vegas was too small for the conference.  This was my 3rd VMworld the other 2 being in San Francisco.  I found in Vegas, it was easier to get around, the hotels and food was much cheaper, in fact mst of my food was comped by my hotel (maybe I did a little too much gambling, but I left with more money than I came with).

Sessions in Vegas were larger, I got into everything I wanted to, in San Francisco the session rooms seemed smaller, and I seemed to have spent a lot of time in standby lines. 

I found the venue staff and food in Vegas to be much better, they never had any lunch left after walking a few blocks to gt there in San Francisco.  mind you Vegas was a bit of a walk just all indoors, however Vegas had a lt of food.

For me Vegas would be my first choice, as well as my bosses he has an easier time sending us to Vegas over sfo. 

At the end of the day, I feel the conference has a lot of value and I will fight hard to go no matter which city it is, in my opinion I feel Vegas overall was a better value.

Shawn

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Join Our Communities

Contact Us

Drop us a line at
vmworldteam@vmware.com

USA & Canada: 1-800-365-2459

International: +1 203-851-7802

Copyright © 2014 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved.